Monday, 16 June 2014

This weeks frugal ways

Good morning and thank you for your comments on the cookies, if you made them I hope you enjoy.
 
I have been reading a blog for a long time now called The Prudent Homemaker Here.  This lady is so inspiring,  each week she does a post with her frugal accomplishments of the week.  They are not your usual ways to save money and really make you think about the little things we do. 
 
My husband is out of work at the moment.  He finished his military career last Monday.  He is actively seeking work and fingers crossed will find a position soon.  I wont go in to details as my Mother taught me it wasn't polite to discuss budgets but we are okay for the rest of this year thankfully.  Because of our situation I have been thinking about the things we have done this week to save money.
 
 
I cut my husbands hair this week - I am not a qualified hairdresser but he just has the clippers all over so it was very easy to do.
 
I dyed my own hair.
 
I made a dishcloth with some 100% cotton wool that I was given.  I have been given 8 balls so I plan to make as many as this one only took an evening.
 
 


I made strawberry jam with strawberries reduced to 25p a punnet in the local shop.  I managed to make 6 jars.
 
I cooked all of our meals from scratch.
 
I made my fathers day cards and posted them last Monday so I only needed a 2nd class stamp.
 
I started some crochet bunting to decorate the dining room.
 
 


 
I was given 4 mens shirts which I have taken the buttons off to go in to my button jar and will use the fabric (cotton) for sewing projects.  There is a lot of fabric in a mens shirt.
 
I picked flowers from my garden to make a posie for the side of my bed.
 
I have made the most of the glorious weather and dried all of my washing outside instead of using the tumble drier.
 
I used some birthday money from last year to buy some fabric to make my son a quilt for his birthday.  I got the fabric for £16 including postage.  In total I got 12 meters which is a massive bargain. 

 
 
So there you go.   I have been doing a lot of these things for years.  It's one of the reasons I get to be a SAHM.  One of my favourite sayings is that I have more time than I have money, so if I can make it I try to do that first before buying anything.
 
What little things have you done this week to save money?
 
Thank you for visiting. 


1 comment:

  1. There are so many good ideas here! My husband was out of work for a few months last year and it was tough but we coped. Planning is key I think. Planing meals, birthdays, holidays, everything. We switched supermarkets and I made a lot of our Christmas presents. The minute you leave things to the last minute it gets more pricey. You are already saving a fortune I would say! x

    ReplyDelete